As you prepare your home for the cold weather, you’ll want to be sure to eliminate drafts, which can cause cold spots in your home and waste energy. Caulking, sealing and weather-stripping windows and doors is the way to stop drafts in their tracks.
In addition to saving money and eliminated cold spots near doors and windows, sealing drafts can help prevent unwanted visitors like rodents from entering your home.
Regardless of the season, sealing cracks around doors and windows offers a number benefits and is wise for any home owner:
- Saves money by preventing cold air from entering your house in the winter or hot air entering in the summer.
- Eliminates easy entry points for insects such as ants, roaches, spiders, flies and crickets.
- Requires no special skills to apply caulk, sealant or weather-stripping.
- Offers an inexpensive solution. You can purchase any type of weather stripping, caulk or sealer from your local hardware store, and it will be worth the investment.
- Provides an accent to the paint around the trim of the doors and windows inside your home and can be appealing to the eye. A paint job or stain can look unfinished and appear to have unattractive gaps or spacing without proper caulk or sealant.
- Prevents rain and snow from entering your house. If the existing doors or windows in your home are wood, then weather stripping prevents water from damaging the wood.
- Dampens some of the outdoor noise levels (animals, mowers, children, vehicles).